Stress can take a toll on our bodies leaving us irritable, tired, and unable to concentrate. Methods to reduce stress and cortisol levels add quality and quantity to your life and help you be at your best for yourself. Diet can play a big role in reducing the physical and mental effects of stress.
Here are the top foods that contain vitamins to reduce stress and cortisol levels:
- Vitamin C which is available in citrus fruits and tropical fruits. Low levels of this vitamin have been linked to anxiety and depression. Vitamin C suppresses the formation of cortisol which is a major stress hormone. It’s also a cofactor needed in serotonin synthesis.
- Complex Carbohydrates: Whole grains, brown rice, oatmeal, and sweet potatoes contain vitamin B and E that help fend off free radicals. Along with improving mood, they stimulate serotonin concentration which can be disrupted in times of stress.
- Dark Leafy Greens: Swiss chard, kale, and spinach contain B vitamins which assist in stress reduction. They also contain antioxidants that reduce environmental stressors like pollution and pesticides. Vitamin B helps in burning sugar and calm the cells during stress periods. It’s also essential in release and reabsorption of serotonin. Low levels of B vitamins like B3, B5, B6, B9, and B12 have been linked to anxiety and depression. Vitamin B6 is utilized in the synthesis of the stress hormones and norepinephrine.
- Almonds, walnuts, and pistachios: These are terrific stress reducers containing B vitamins. The monounsaturated fats in almonds help in balancing blood sugar, support metabolism, and raises HDL levels. Walnuts contain Vitamin E which is an antioxidant force.
- Avocado: It’s rich in vitamin B9 and vitamin E than any other fruit. In addition, they contain omega-3 fatty acid which is a stress-reducing rockstar. ¼ of an avocado is enough to receive the relaxing benefits.
Keep these foods that are rich in vitamins to reduce stress and cortisol levels. When making difficult changes in your lifestyle stay focused on the positive elements.